3 TIPS FOR GROWING HEALTY HAIR

People often say Nigerian hair does not grow, and black hair is so nappy it needs to be corrected by a relaxer (MY HAIR IS NOT STRESSED!) I always wanted long hair, and was particularly interested in having long relaxer-free hair. I did not have the courage to go for the ‘big chop’ because I did not know what would grow out of my head. In 2013, I started reading up and watching YouTube videos about Natural hair care, and I was surprised to see African women with long, full and unrelaxed hair. August of the same year, I went on and confronted the unknown- I cut off all the relaxed strands on my head to start the beautiful journey that would soon change my story.
I have come to realise that Hair Grows, and it is not a function of skin color or race. Your hair is growing, but you may not be retaining length. The major determinant is Information. You need to know what to do with that kinky/coily/curly head of hair.
TIPS FOR GROWING HEALTHY NATURAL HAIR  
1. MOISTURE
Black hair is coarse and tightly coiled, and so the sebum (natural oil) travels down the scalp slowly, therefore leaving the hair dry. When this happens, many people get frustrated, and want to ‘fix it’, so they braid it up, or use weaves without properly taking care of their hair. The result? More damage! What I have found works for me is using a leave-in conditioner, some oil (olive, coconut, sweet almond, grape seed, avocado… ANY oil), and a cream-based product (shea butter works too!). I follow these steps on freshly washed hair, and it seals in the moisture. You can repeat this every other day.
2. LESS SHAMPOO, MORE CONDITIONER
Shampoos are very drying on our type of hair, and I avoid it as much as I can. Most of the time, I use just conditioner to clean my natural hair, and this is called Co-washing. It is very effective in keeping the hair moisturized, and it leaves it softer than ever! You can use shampoo when you feel like your hair needs to be cleaned.
3. DEEP CONDITIONING
Deep conditioners are treatments that help restore the health of the hair., and I have made a weekly practise of deep conditioning. It made the biggest difference in the overall health and appearance of my hair. The best part is that I can go into your kitchen and come out with an awesome deep conditioner in 2 minutes. Eggs, mayonnaise, honey, avocado, bananas and so many other consumables make perfect deep conditioners. If it is good for the mouth, It is good for the hair!
My advice to you: Your hair, just like your face is a part of your body. Treat it as you would other parts. If you love your hair, your hair would love you! It is a process, so learn what works for you, and finalize your Natural hair routine!
WATCH VIDEO BY FOLAKE ONIRUN BELOW:

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

3 Social Media Tools Entrepreneurs Should Be Using Every Day